Help in Reverse Engineering

Hello guys. Lately I’ve been getting more and more interested in reverse engineering and exploit development. I fell in love with assembly language and I’d like to have a thorough understanding of assembly language and how to analyze executables from a vulnerability hunter’s point of view. The problem is that there are an infinity of things that you need to know well. What I ask you is some advice on a path to follow and therefore which resources do you prefer (courses, books etc …) in order to have a more lucid and not too messed up vision about reverse engineering, binary exploitation and things like that.

Google ‘Smashing The Stack For Fun And Profit’ by Aleph On and learn C and Assembly. Depending on what your target is, RE can also be just starting an IDE (e.g. IntelliJ) and “disassembling” java byte code. Or C#. Here on HTB, you have boxes that require such basic skills. The classic example is to use “strings” (or sysinternals strings.exe on windows) to have a look what’s in a binary. Often you will find a flag, or password in clear text etc. I could go on and on …