Official Debugging Interface Discussion

Official discussion thread for Debugging Interface. Please do not post any spoilers or big hints.

Comments

  • anybody can help me please with this challenge. This is my first Hardware challenge. And I dont have much idea about hardware but solving this challenge to gain some knowledge and understanding.
    any nudge will be appreciated.
    @dim1119 @N0p

  • edited April 13

    I have figured out what the given file is. I feel like a special tool is needed though, and I don't know what it is, even searching for stuff on the internet didn't help at all.
    Any clue on the software that I have to use in order to go forward?

    Edit: nvm, the answer was in front of my eyes

  • edited April 15

    @5L45H , try looking for some loose threads to pull on.

    I have found the software to read the file, but think my *****zer/trig*** settings are incorrect as the data is still incomprehensible (lots of random ascii chars but nothing resembling a flag), and I'm seeing a lot of framing errors. I've poked at all the settings I have been able to find related to the as*** se**** *****zer with no luck.

    Any tips would be greatly appreciated

  • Hey as the other guys mentioned a specific software is used to read this type of file (.sal). As for the analysis of the signal you just have to think simple! What's the variable that is most likely to be unknown and how you can find/calculate it!? @5L45H @toroflux .

  • The hardest part was finding the software :wink:.

    imageTest sig please ignore

  • Got it!

    Thanks for the tip @diogt!

  • Type your comment> @toroflux said:

    @5L45H , try looking for some loose threads to pull on.

    I have found the software to read the file, but think my *****zer/trig*** settings are incorrect as the data is still incomprehensible (lots of random ascii chars but nothing resembling a flag), and I'm seeing a lot of framing errors. I've poked at all the settings I have been able to find related to the as*** se**** *****zer with no luck.

    Any tips would be greatly appreciated

    Were you able to figure it out? I've gotten to the same part, but I am starting to think it may be faster to just decode it by hand

  • @haicen I was able to find the flag with the help of @diogt 's tip above

  • Nice challenge.

    As @diogt said you need to calculate/find one of the most relevant characteristics of an async serial communication signal, in order to read it properly.
    Software includes a couple of tools to measure the stuff you need to measure.

    Also @haicen I don't think you need to decode anything by hand. Check the software again, there's a "Terminal" icon that I think will make your life easier, once your signal is ready.

  • @hedylamarr1914 said:
    Nice challenge.

    As @diogt said you need to calculate/find one of the most relevant characteristics of an async serial communication signal, in order to read it properly.
    Software includes a couple of tools to measure the stuff you need to measure.

    Also @haicen I don't think you need to decode anything by hand. Check the software again, there's a "Terminal" icon that I think will make your life easier, once your signal is ready.

    I did get it. i had made some errors when doing a calculation which is why i wasn't getting the right data out

  • Solved but I have questions if someone can DM me - basically once you figure out how to open the data for viewing, my process involved switching through the different pr******s to a*****e the data then dumping them and using my cooking skills to do further processing on the outputs. Is there a way to determine which pr*****l to use other than just trying them all? I tried looking for manuals that might hint as to which one to use but never came across anything.

    Cheers.

  • edited May 7

    @n0leptr said:
    Solved but I have questions if someone can DM me - basically once you figure out how to open the data for viewing, my process involved switching through the different pr******s to a*****e the data then dumping them and using my cooking skills to do further processing on the outputs. Is there a way to determine which pr*****l to use other than just trying them all? I tried looking for manuals that might hint as to which one to use but never came across anything.

    Cheers.

    Not sure what "pr******s" refers to, but you can use the challenge description to figure out what specific analyzer to use in the software to parse the data. From there you need to understand how to calculate the important variable (b*** r**e) - easy to google the methodology but the resulting value doesn't come up among the main standard values.

  • hey guys mind sharing which software you all used to read the file ? most of them seems to need some kind of purchase

  • edited May 10

    @jlpung said:

    hey guys mind sharing which software you all used to read the file ? most of them seems to need some kind of purchase

    There is a demo version of the software that has enough functionality to do everything we need. A hex editor might be useful in pointing you towards finding the name.

  • @Exci said:

    @n0leptr said:
    Solved but I have questions if someone can DM me - basically once you figure out how to open the data for viewing, my process involved switching through the different pr******s to a*****e the data then dumping them and using my cooking skills to do further processing on the outputs. Is there a way to determine which pr*****l to use other than just trying them all? I tried looking for manuals that might hint as to which one to use but never came across anything.

    Cheers.

    Not sure what "pr******s" refers to, but you can use the challenge description to figure out what specific analyzer to use in the software to parse the data. From there you need to understand how to calculate the important variable (b*** r**e) - easy to google the methodology but the resulting value doesn't come up among the main standard values.

    Thanks, there's actually a protocol that you can use that doesn't require you to calculate anything, and instead it's just an easy decode using the typical encodings we find in challenges.

    I'm going to look into what you said though because it seems more along the lines of what was intended for the solution.

  • Type your comment> @n0leptr said:

    Thanks, there's actually a protocol that you can use that doesn't require you to calculate anything, and instead it's just an easy decode using the typical encodings we find in challenges.

    I stumbled across that as well, but it seems to give a flag, that won't be recognized by the upload. It seems very "1337" but gives back incorrect flag. Any ideas on that?

  • edited May 30

    Hi, if the password to extract .zip file must be cracked or is some rule to extract .zip files from htb (maybe password is wiritten somwhere and I didn't notice it? ). I'm new here and I don't know HTB rules at all.

    OK, nevermind, I found it xd

Sign In to comment.