Getting Points for Boxes

I’m coming back to HTB after being off for a while. I noticed that when I do an Active box, I’m not getting points/credit for doing that box and submitting flags. At one point, Active boxes gave the points but retired boxes didn’t. I have a VIP+ membership, so I’m not sure if that’s the issue.

What am I supposed to do now to gain points to increase rank, or is there some other reason I’m not seeing points and ranking up?

@Corsemode said:

I’m coming back to HTB after being off for a while. I noticed that when I do an Active box, I’m not getting points/credit for doing that box and submitting flags. At one point, Active boxes gave the points but retired boxes didn’t. I have a VIP+ membership, so I’m not sure if that’s the issue.

What am I supposed to do now to gain points to increase rank, or is there some other reason I’m not seeing points and ranking up?

When you say you aren’t getting points - can you clarify what you mean please?

Looking at your profile, you are getting points for boxes:

If you mean the total points shown under your username, then there is a scoring breakdown here: Login :: Hack The Box :: Penetration Testing Labs

The challenge is your actual score is linked to your ownership percentage. The calculation is:
(userOwnPoints + systemOwnPoints + challengeOwnPoints + fortressOwnPoints + endgameOwnPoints + userBloodPoints + systemBloodPoints + challengeBloodPoints) * ownershipPercentage

So, at the moment you are at 16.2% ownership, so your 159 total points become 26 points on the ranking scorecard.

Thank you! I was looking at the Ownership ranking, and it was showing at 8%. I guess that ranking may not be real time? I just looked at it again, and it’s now showing at 16%. I guess I’m doing the right boxes after all.

@Corsemode said:

Thank you! I was looking at the Ownership ranking, and it was showing at 8%. I guess that ranking may not be real time? I just looked at it again, and it’s now showing at 16%. I guess I’m doing the right boxes after all.

Yeah - scores get updated at around midnight CET. Until then it all looks like it is the output of a random number generator.

1 Like