SQL Injection Fundamentals - mysql is not a valid command

edited January 27 in Exploits

The module is wanting me to connect to a mysql database. I know the command but every I try to run mysql plus the flags, it comes up and says that mysql is not a valid command.

Can't seem to install mysql/mariadb either. Thoughts on how to get past this or what I need to do to call mysql?

Comments

• I am not very clear about your description, can you be more detailed? (It's best to have pictures)

Ershu1
    I like this plant, just like me, without roots

• Yeah sorry about that.

The question is

Connect to the database using the MySQL client from the command line. Use the 'show databases;' command to list databases in the DBMS. What is the name of the first database?

The command should be mysql -u root -h target.IP.address -P 31475 -p but when I try to use that command it tells me gives me the error:

bash: mysql: command not found

I've tried installing it with sudo apt install mariadb-server but it can't find the package. I also ran sudo apt upgrade prior to trying to install it

And....it just finally installed. What I did to fix it was made sure that all packages were updated. Apparently it had missed 2 in the update process. I then ran sudo apt install mariadb-server-10.3 and it went through.

Total user error on this one.

• edited February 7

I have a similar issue in the module 'SQL Injection Fundamentals.' When I try to open MySQL in my Pwnbox I get the reponse that MySQL is not a valid command. I ran sudo apt update and sudo apt install mariadb-server-10.3. I try to start MySQL but I get the error "ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)".

Update - Solved my issue by doing the following:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install mariadb-server-10.3
    service mysql start (For password I used the one assigned to me using my personal Pwnbox on the HTB website.)
    sudo mysql

How to do this using the default Pwnbox instance in the academy I don't know, but using it with your own personal Pwnbox instance works no problem.

• Guys, i am having the same problem. I tried the above solution from ObfusScape
    but i cant execute "service mysql start" the provided password (password) does not work.
    Also, what is the right command to connect to MySQL?

• Are you running the mysql command with sudo??
    should be
    sudo mysql -u root -p -h your.ip.address.here -P portnum

• edited April 19

It's not working. I'm struggling with the same issue. I have been able to connect only once, one week ago. Is that a problem of pwnbox?

• edited April 19

Was having the same problem, couldn't connect to the MySQL server. No matter what I tried!

(I'm connecting from my local PwnBox, haven't tried below on the virtual/Parrot PwnBox.)

Then I've stumbled across another post that suggested to nmap the port:
    nmap -Pn -vvvvv --reason -p or map -Pn -p

If the port show as 'Closed' , wait a minute and try again. If the port shows as 'Open'
    you can connect to the MySQL server with the provided commands:
    mysql -u root -p -h -P -p

not sure if needed, but I've started MySQL too.
    sudo service mysql start

Hope this helps!!

• Yes, I've tried and somehow after first scanning, port was open and I was able to connect. But not anymore, after rescanning ports are closed, after changing target is the same. I wanted to take this module, but it's really wasting time trying to connect

• I guess the instructions are no so clear, you need to use "password" for the password

Sign In to comment.