app.hackthebox.eu causing high CPU usage

Whenever I open the new website my machine struggles a fair amount, it normally uses ~50% while opening the page but will then sit pegged at 30% with the page open doing nothing. If I switch to another tab it drops to 0.

It seems strange that this newly built interface can have been designed so inefficiently, is there anything to be done about this?

I’m running hackthebox.com inside my VM with Firefox just to make it easier to complete Starting Points questions while doing the hacking. The website completely DDOSses 2 CPUs and 8GB of ram. Can barely run nmap if I view the website at the same time. Is it really necessary to have all that stuff on the web page? Do I need to configure Burp to drop at least the background video material to make this usable?

Hi there,

very same behaviour at my side:
As soon as the browser shows HTB page content CPU usage is 90-100%. When switching to another tab CPU usage drops to 5-10%.

Here in the forum the CPU usage is “only” 50-80%.

Thanks, @Wellumies for the recommendation of burp. I’ll give it a try.

Regards

Honestly, even with the older interface, the CPU usage was pretty high with all the old animations and such. It would be nice if they added a “performance mode” that disabled some of the fancy effects. (even though they do look nice :slight_smile: )

I have a i7-10700, 32GB memory, RX 6700XT and the website sometimes grinds my system to a halt.

Just wanted to +1 this thread, since I’ve been having similar issues. Hopefully HTB see this and think about the UI/UX again. I’d rather enjoy a simple but working experience, than fancy effects that waste precious time I could be using to study/practice.