Help me please with the Academy question

Login : HTB Academy here i d’nt know what i need to paste

how i can watch in GDB the stack size

I could use some help with this as well. I have no clue how to calculate the size of the stack space after overwritting the EIP…

i’ve tried calculating with loads of different addresses, but nothing worked. Google didn’t provide an answer for me either

this is the end i finished task if someone need help google like how to see in gdb the stack size in program

The size of the stack is also known as it’s depth.
Don’t be afraid to read, the article I found was quite long.

i’m having a problem with this as well. i don’t understand what they mean by “examine the registers” considering that the registers don’t exist until the bow program is run, and the value of the EBP is different depending upon the point during the run at which you examine the registers…i am completely lost, and i have been fruitlessly googling information all morning with no valuable results

1 Like

Same here. I’ve set breakpoints on main, bowfunc, strcpy, and none of EBP is correct, please give some hint.

1 Like

Need hints here. I have been stuck in this question for a few days and not even know what is the format of the answer.

Just found out the answer somewhere. The question and the hint are not quite making sense to me. I think it is better to rephrase the wordings…

Solved it, there a command in gdb that shows you the information needed to calculate the size of the stack

Type your comment> @arydob said:

Solved it, there a command in gdb that shows you the information needed to calculate the size of the stack

I’m stuck in that question. Could I send you a pm?

Type your comment> @carliquiss said:

I’m stuck in that question. Could I send you a pm?

yes

I’m stuck too in that question. Could I send you a pm?

@arydob sent me this link linux - How to view starting and ending address of memory segments like stack, data, heap and code? - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange

In the first question: “Submit the size of the stack space after overwritting the EIP as the answer. (Format: 0x00000)” under “Generating shellcode section” the answer is actually the stack size, not sure why it says “after overwritting the EIP”

The same for the last question in "Skill Assessment " the answer is just the stack size

I have run into similar issue and tried above hints however still got stuck with it. Can I try PM to person who master this answer? Really appericiated.

Type your comment> @sonihmgmail said:

I have run into similar issue and tried above hints however still got stuck with it. Can I try PM to person who master this answer? Really appericiated.

Send me a DM and I will try to help

someone finished this? I need a hint

same here, I’m stuck in “Examine the registers and submit the address of EBP as the answer”.

UPDATE
they should change the question to “Repeat all steps from the tutorial, examine the registers and submit the address in EBP as the answer”

1 Like

Spoiler Removed

Ca someone help me how to get the root flag