VPN Connection Problem

Hi,
I’m using OpenVPN client for mac and I configured everything and I’m able to connect to the server and everything but I can’t use my VPN IP!

I’m at 10.10.*.* and when I try to connect to myself from the localhost I don’t get the connection, so I’m not able to make a reverse shell…

The VPN is at “utun2” and here is the ifconfig for it

utun2: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	inet 10.10.14.31 --> 10.10.14.1 netmask 0xfffffe00 
	inet6 fe80::aede:48ff:fe00:1122%utun2 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x19 
	inet6 dead:beef:2::101d prefixlen 64 
	nd6 options=201<PERFORMNUD,DAD>

There is this POINTOPOINT thing that when I googled I found this thread networking - What does it mean 10.171.10.1 --> 10.171.10.2 in openvpn-created interface? - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange

I’m not really familiar with this level of networking so if someone is please share how can I solve it?

I believe I need to write something on the ovpn file to change the setting of this configuration…

last this is my ping inside 10.10.*.* if is wasn’t working I’ll get this strange error

xhzeem@local:~$ ping 10.10.14.10

92 bytes from 10.10.14.1: Destination Host Unreachable
Vr HL TOS  Len   ID Flg  off TTL Pro  cks      Src      Dst
 4  5  00 5400 e145   0 0000  3f  01 6e27 10.10.14.10  10.10.10.10 

Thanks.

I dont know enough about how VPNs work on a mac to be much help.

However if you go to Login :: Hack The Box :: Penetration Testing Labs you can verify if you have access by checking “HTB Lab Access Details”

Type your comment> @TazWake said:

I dont know enough about how VPNs work on a mac to be much help.

However if you go to Login :: Hack The Box :: Penetration Testing Labs you can verify if you have access by checking “HTB Lab Access Details”

I have a working connection and I can access the machines but it’s configured in a wired way…

@xhzeem said:

I have a working connection and I can access the machines but it’s configured in a wired way…

Macs are strange beasts.

Hi,
i have same problem like you on my mac. did you already solved this problem ?
Thanks ^^

Started encountering the same issue a few days ago, after probably 6+ months of a working setup (OS X & brew-installed openvpn). After significant debugging, I believe it’s something to do with the routing that gets applied to vpn (utun*) interfaces. I don’t know exactly how to solve it, so like others in this post I’m swapping to using VM-based attack boxes from now (which is probably what I should have always been using, anyway).

It is a very strange error indeed. I use macOS 12 Monterey and I faced a similar issue. In my case, whenever I connect to the VPN using OpenVPN, I am able to ping the server but loose access to every other thing on the internet outside the private network.

I solved this by renewing DHCP lease following these steps:

1. Go to System Preferences → Go to Network
  2. In Network, click Advanced on the bottom right
  3. Click on TCP/IP tab
  4. Click Renew DHCP Lease button. Click Ok…then click Apply to apply the settings.

From here on, I have access to the internet and things work as they should. Unfortunately I have to do this everytime I open a VPN connection to HTB.

1 Like

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say thank you, this worked for me. One thing to note is that you need to renew the DHCP lease while connected to the VPN.

On macOS Ventura, because of the new System Settings app the exact steps to get to those settings are a little different, so I’ll include them here in case anyone has an issue:’

• Go to the ‘Wi-Fi’ tab
  • Click ‘Details…’ next to the network you’re connected to
  • Click the ‘TCP/IP’ tab (if it isn’t already there)
  • Click ‘Renew DHCP Lease’