Official Phonebook Discussion

Official discussion thread for Phonebook. Please do not post any spoilers or big hints.

Comments

• edited October 2020

Just think about what might be behind what you see, and think about how it works. This should be enough for this challenge!

• edited November 2020

i found two things that seem to point behind things so far, but haven't been able to turn them into anything useful yet. I have the whole addressbook though! Haha.

I must be missing something obvious...

• I found a X** on the login page, also found another web page, however I can't find anything valuable yet.

• Type your comment> @Gorka said:

I found a X** on the login page, also found another web page, however I can't find anything valuable yet.

Yeah me too , but i also found the s***** page but stuck at the 4** response code.

• edited November 2020

Read the first hints you already saw. Then re-read them. You need to figure out one name of technology that is in play.

• Got it. Once I realized the name of what I needed to do I wrote a small python script (31 lines including blank lines and imports) and got the flag.

Great challenge, I would say that the second page provides a valuable hint.

• Okay, I've been paying close attention to this forum while throwing my limited knowledge at this challenge. I just can't seem to be able to figure out what is behind. So I've found certain characters effect the first page but cannot develop a good payload, and any requests on the second are blocked no matter what I throw.

Any further hints would be greatly appreciated...

• Any further hints would be greatly appreciated...

I'll send you dm.

• edited November 2020

I managed to circumvent the login page.
    But when I try to perform a search in the phonebook, then I (of course) get an Access Denied.
    I wonder how the authentication is supposed to work... I'll let it sit and linger a bit.

• Well, I found the search page, but I got stuck in it.
    I'm looking for tutorials on the internet on how to bypass forbidden ... but I feel that this is not the correct way ...
    Can you help me with a link to know a new technique?
    not spoiler just link for me to learn a technique that I don't know.

it's possible?

• Glueing something together clearly doesn't work for me. So it's not h*** s********.
    Using different h******* doesn't want me to show anything new...
    Is this message about credentials a rabbit hole?
    I need a break.

foxtrotcharlie

• The message isn't a rabbit hole :). Think about how this could be implemented...

ArtemisFY
    OSCP

• I'm stuck at the phonebook page. Can anyone dm me some hint?

• I'll send some dms because there are so many hints already in the service and it's hard not to spoil...

• I've found the s°°°° page and i am also stuck at the 4°° message
    I am really clueless about what's next, someone got a smoll hint?

• stuck in second page and s**** function, always got 4** error code..
    did i miss something?

• stuck in second page and s**** function, always got 4** error code..
    did i miss something?

Think more about how you bypassed the first step. For me it was useful to actually write the thing down and try to play more with it.

• should a cookie or token be set to access the s***** page?

• got the whole phonebook..
    is there anything else there?

it seems i cant find any valuable things there, just some name, email, and phone number

• edited November 2020

Sometimes hiding things in plain sight actually turns out to be safe ;)
    When you deal with people who tend to overthink things. But I am also stumped. Probably over thinking it.

• I was able to get some interesting things to show up in the authentication page, but I'm not sure how useful it is. I've returned to this challenge a few times now and am still quite lost.

• I think we are overthinking it. I just seem to miss the login details.
    The grammar in that message, on the login page, makes no sense. So I figured that hides the username/password combo. But I have not figured it out. Going around the login page makes me believe that the login page is required to obtain something I need to pass on to the other api calls.

Type your comment> @DaemonResolve said:

I was able to get some interesting things to show up in the authentication page, but I'm not sure how useful it is. I've returned to this challenge a few times now and am still quite lost.

• I think we are overthinking it. I just seem to miss the login details.

But you have the username already, you must have seen it many times already! The password you don't need (for a while) to get further :)

• Done, N!ce Challenge.

Hint:
    First page has everything you need.

Try!ng Hard3r, N3v3r G!v3Up.

• Definitely may need a small hint could anyone DM?

• edited November 2020

Listed whole phonebook.

Edit:
    Done! Easy one! THanx!

foxtrotcharlie

• I could use a hint on this, been beating my head on it for a while. I brute forced the obvious name, from the clues here it seems like im supposed to guess a DB name, but I don't see how that helps me, especially if I don't even need a password

so confused :(

Hilbert

• edited November 2020

Type your comment> @sonpkhe130056 said:

Type your comment> @Gorka said:

I found a X** on the login page, also found another web page, however I can't find anything valuable yet.

Yeah me too , but i also found the s***** page but stuck at the 4** response code.

I'm at this exact point :/

• Attempt #5... got past the login, and was able to pull up some names. Stuck trying to figure out what technology is being used. I'll try again later.

• edited November 2020

Finally got there! I definitely overthought this challenge!

Everything you need is in this discussion forum. Particularly the below hint, once you understand what is being used.

@Icyb3r said:
    Hint:
    First page has everything you need.

Sign In to comment.