Official Outrun Discussion

Official discussion thread for Outrun. Please do not post any spoilers or big hints.

any hint to play with .logicdata bin?

Just a heads up installing ‘socketio’ via pip3 killed my python environment on parrot OS.
(It’s a module within the py file you download)

rm -rf ~/.local will get you back fixed if it happens to you.

The correct package you want to install is ‘python-socketio’

@win32k said:

I’ve got a long list of things that don’t work…lol

Type your comment> @glid3s said:

@win32k said:

I’ve got a long list of things that don’t work…lol

me too, im tried a lot of :\

im tried to read some like https://www.carhackingvillage.com/ but i cant find any writeup about that!

Use virtual environments for python when installing tools and libraries for these challenges, never mess up your system wide again :wink:
I found an open source analyzer that has the decoder I need, but the data file is so big when I try to analyze it with the proper rate it freezes up and crashes, lol. :neutral:

If what I said was too spoily, you know what to do.

anyone any idea on how to lock the doors? i made it say 0km/h, not sure if that’s enough…
also i could not get the software to analyse the file…

edit: damm so close but no flag: {d…s:0,f…g:“”,r…:800,s…r:0}

it says, “Connection refused by the server” :frowning:

Just a heads up installing ‘socketio’ via pip3 killed my python environment on parrot OS.

WTF Man!!! I had to redo my VM cause that fk*****g library…

The Outrun hardware challenge has been reworked, a step that unintentionally required unreasonable guessing in order to pass the challenge has been removed

The dockerised instance and the downloadable have been updated.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience, please try again!

Feel free to reach out to me in dm here and/or discord if you have any questions (not to give hints )

pip3 in a python3 venv works good using Kali

Regarding the hardware challenge Outrun, a lot of members had some connection issues which resulted in unstable connections (the application stopped receiving packets, missing packets, the application dropping the socket connections etc.) due to the amount of traffic emitted by the server. To mitigate that problem we reduced the amount of traffic the server emits, removed echoing of the packets sent to the server and increased the max packets allowed in the queue of the client. We believe the challenge to be stable and we even stress-tested successfully in the rate of 2000 ms latency. We made a lot of server-side improvements in order to make the challenge stable, if you come up with any issues please raise it with me or makelaris . We’ve made a minor addition on the downloadable in regard to the bridge.py file, if you have connection issues due to latency consider downloading the updated downloadable (note that the .logicdata wasn’t updated, just the helping wrapper script).

from engineio.payload import Payload

# In case of issues with the connection increase the max_decode_packets value
Payload.max_decode_packets = 100

There’s also a new message on the UI stating that in order for the flag to be emitted in the socket connection, all the necessary packets need to come from a single socket connection.

If you’ve found the challenge guessy in any way, note that we have reworked the challenge in a way to make it more clear whether you’re sending the right packets and you’ve made progress, if you’ve found it difficult to get the flag because of latency or unstable connections or any of the above reasons, please consider testing the updated version of the challenge and reverting the vote according to whether or not the challenge now upholds your standards.

Is official software from logic analyzer manufacturer required in this challenge? Because I am able to load checklog file, but can’t add any analyzer. I guess my electronics background actually hurts me in this challenge, but I wonder…

@sparrow1 said:

Is official software from logic analyzer manufacturer required in this challenge? Because I am able to load checklog file, but can’t add any analyzer. I guess my electronics background actually hurts me in this challenge, but I wonder…

Couldn’t get it to work with that “official vendor software”, either.
But I managed to add some analyzers with a certain FOSS (free open-source software) tool. But haven’t managed to get any further than that, yet :smiley:

Looking for a nudge on this one. I understand the hints and am pretty sure I know what needs to be done overall, but I’m having lots of “tooling” problems on the very first step.

Okay, so far I’m still stuck at the “right” values for converting some channel into some other channel , and then decoding that channel. So far, my decoding efforts yield data that, after sniffing some packets from the server and seeing how it behaves, is wrong (data length and so on). I guess my issues are directly related to two parameters I need to convert that channel and then, to decode it.

So I’m failing at the very first step. Anyone can shed some light? I’d appreciate it XD.

Well, solved. This has been an amazing introduction to “you-know-what” bus, so far I’ve learnt a bunch of things, such as how to convert this into that and then some.

I wanna thank @diogt: when I was having connection issues with the remote server, he reached out to make sure there were no real issues with the chal . I wanna add that the server is 100% operational, and even with some “disconnected from server” messages every now and again, you can still solve the challenge.