Openvpn not connecting. Stuck at Initialization Sequence completed

I just got started here by going to the starting point section of the website. I have a kali machine running on virtualbox and I have the ovpn connection pack downloaded. Once I run "sudo openvpn crossbones.ovpn" It eventually stops running after a few seconds and stops at the line "Initialization Sequence Completed". After a few minutes of waiting, the program outputs "inactivity timeout (--ping-restart), restarting" and then ends up stopping once again at "initialization sequence completed". Anyone know how to fix this?

Comments

• You use Kali and you're root by default. Why'd you need to use sudo, lol?

• On Kali 2020 you aren't root by default.

Note: I am not going to be available much in September.

TazWake

Note: https://www.nohello.com/

Happy to help people but PLEASE explain your problem in as much detail as possible! If you say vague things like "It's not working", I cant help. This isn't Twitter so my DMs are always open.

• Hey, what do you expect openvpn to output? Sound to me like it is up and running. Type ifconfig tun0 to check your IP.

doxxos

• Type your comment> @TazWake said:

On Kali 2020 you aren't root by default.

He doesn't use kali 2020

• @ion0x0 said:

He doesn't use kali 2020

ok

TazWake

Happy to help people but PLEASE explain your problem in as much detail as possible! If you say vague things like "It's not working", I cant help. This isn't Twitter so my DMs are always open.

• Type your comment> @ion0x0 said:

Type your comment> @TazWake said:

On Kali 2020 you aren't root by default.

He doesn't use kali 2020

yes i do

• Had the same problem 2 days ago. Sent Support all the log files/ovpn file, but it all looked good to them. Fixed it by switching from US to EU. Give it a try.

• are you in the directory where the opvn file is saved??
    666snippet

666snippet

• @666snippet said:
    are you in the directory where the opvn file is saved??
    666snippet

666snippet

• It looked like openvpn was hanging at "Initialization Sequence Completed" for me, too. I opened another terminal window, ran sudo su, and was able to then run ifconfig tun0.

• Type your comment> @ion0x0 said:

You use Kali and you're root by default. Why'd you need to use sudo, lol?

He may feel that his power is not enough, so use sudo

• help me

Hello, I can't connect to HTB Lab Access
    I receive this message from 'RTNETLINK answers: Permission denied
    Sun Jul 26 17:13:35 2020 Linux ip -6 addr add failed: external program exited with error status: 2
    Sun Jul 26 17:13:35 2020 Exiting due to fatal error '

• @jjjmax said:

help me

Hello, I can't connect to HTB Lab Access
    I receive this message from 'RTNETLINK answers: Permission denied
    Sun Jul 26 17:13:35 2020 Linux ip -6 addr add failed: external program exited with error status: 2
    Sun Jul 26 17:13:35 2020 Exiting due to fatal error '

You might need to run as root - sudo or su might help.

If not, it is useful to know what commands you used.

Alternatively this might help https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?t=26388

TazWake

• i also can't connect to vpn its showing this messege

Tue Jul 28 16:46:00 2020 OpenVPN 2.4.9 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [PKCS11] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on Apr 21 2020
    Tue Jul 28 16:46:00 2020 library versions: OpenSSL 1.1.1g 21 Apr 2020, LZO 2.10
    Tue Jul 28 16:46:00 2020 Outgoing Control Channel Authentication: Using 256 bit message hash 'SHA256' for HMAC authentication
    Tue Jul 28 16:46:00 2020 Incoming Control Channel Authentication: Using 256 bit message hash 'SHA256' for HMAC authentication
    Tue Jul 28 16:46:00 2020 TCP/UDP: Preserving recently used remote address: [AF_INET]185.77.152.102:1337
    Tue Jul 28 16:46:00 2020 Socket Buffers: R=[212992->212992] S=[212992->212992]
    Tue Jul 28 16:46:00 2020 UDP link local: (not bound)

• Here's my solution:

sudo nano /etc/sysctl.conf
    net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 0
    net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 0
    net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 0

Just to make sure:
    sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=0
    sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=0

restart network:
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

Then:
    sudo su