Magic

Comments

• edited May 28

I need a small nudge on user. I used enum tools but nothing interesting spotted. Can't drop my keys anyhow.

NVM - just got user thanks to @xOkami

Nism0

• I'm stuck on root. I'd be gratefull for a nudge.

Nism0

• @Nism0 said:

I'm stuck on root. I'd be gratefull for a nudge.

Enumerate what you can do and then see if there is a road you can change to your advantage.

TazWake

Happy to help people but PLEASE explain your problem in as much detail as possible!

Also: https://www.nohello.com/

• Great machine!! Took me half a day to finish this. Thanks @TRX for this challenge.

• I am glad you guys liked Magic! :smiley:

• Owned. Finally. Thx @TRX for greate learning experiance and thanks @TazWake for hint.

Nism0

• ROOTED!

I love this kind of box and this one in particular make me learn something new! Here some hints:

Foothold: do you know an image can hide a lot of information? Maybe you just need the right tool.
    User: just look around and you'll find the first juicy information, that information can be used only in one way so let's do it.
    Root: know how Linux prioritize commands execution is the key, then I suggest you to use some tools like pspy and strings to better understand what's happening.

Feel free to PM if you need help!

achille

achille

• hey guys i need a tip for root please i did the usual enumeration but didn't find much

• @sysceen said:

hey guys i need a tip for root please i did the usual enumeration but didn't find much

Did you read the post immediately before yours?

TazWake

Happy to help people but PLEASE explain your problem in as much detail as possible!

• edited May 29

ye but i still can't figure it out @TazWake

• @sysceen said:

ye but i still can't figure it out @TazWake

So its going to be challenging giving you are more obvious tip without it being a spoiler.

TazWake

• Type your comment> @sysceen said:

hey guys i need a tip for root please i did the usual enumeration but didn't find much

You can PM me. Like TazWake said it is hard to give you hint w/o it being a spolier. Off channel, may be I can help you think in right direction

• thanks guys i just got it :smiley: i'll still come pm for some more questions @human

• edited May 30

Stuck @ www-data can someone help me ?

• @madmob69 said:

Stuck @ www-data can someone help me ?

Enumeration. Find some creds. Think about what the file they are in is used for and find a way to dump the contents of that.

TazWake

• Got Root! thnx @TazWake for the nudge

• Hello everyone,

stuck at user, unable to figure out any useful service to use the found creds and proceed further

• Stuck on root. Any nudge? No bin stick out.

• Spoiler Removed

• Rooted this box a week later after user flag
    Thanks @shadyR for the hint
    Nudge me if you need help for this box
  • Is this box always unstable? I can access the box for about a minute and then it kicks me off

• Type your comment> @43y3s said:

Is this box always unstable? I can access the box for about a minute and then it kicks me off

I do not remember having any issues with the machine. If there is a problem I will sometimes try and switch regions (EU -> US) and try a machine there. I will frequently try and switch regions to where it is very early morning as most people on here are probably note poking around early in the morning. Also some shells are much more stable than others so it depends on what you are getting kicked off of (nc vs meterpreter vs ssh).

• I must be having some serious bad luck, ill keep trying this one tomorrow

• Type your comment> @43y3s said:

I must be having some serious bad luck, ill keep trying this one tomorrow

If you message me what you are doing I can see if there is a way to help you out.

• Done, sooo nice machine
    Much thanks to @TRX
    Linux staff is always c00L
    PM if have problems

Good game. well played!
    Arrexel

• edited June 3

The initial foothold is what everyone does, don't make it complicated. Just do those tests when you see a form.

User:
    Look at pages source codes. You find something which you can use it to go further and get the user.

Root:
    The enumeration part is easy. but you may need a little nudge to get the root.
    other users already talked about the tools.

All in all, it is not a good idea to work on this box after Quick box :) , you make think complex.
    Let me know if you need any help.

• Fun box, thanks to the creator.

Foothold: after you find the spot where you login, think very old school prevalent OWASP top 10.

User: I got stuck here thank you @TazWake for the nudge.

Root: Enumerate when you find your target, don’t overthink how to exploit it, try the classics first.
  • Is this box really unstable....or is that just me?

• edited June 7

Rooted ! Very nice box 😎

Foothold: Should be able to login with no problem. After that, trick the verification to accept what you want. But wait, where it goes ? Maybe go back home to check.

User: You will find some juicy info real quick. I found it and saw it but how I use it ? Because we miss something right ? Try a way to access it another way! Yes you are on the right path.

Root: Your favorite enumeration script will probably find it right away. Be attentive when reading the results. You can read it and (l)(s)trace it. Maybe we can confuse a part of what we found to execute what we want.

Hack The Box

• finally rooted! however, I could only print the root flag and not spawn a full shell (I tried it, but they were all unresponsive)...out of curiosity, I'd love to hear how to get a root shell via the same s*****o file, so if anyone got it please dm me!!

Sign In to comment.