Guidance for New User: I need your help for me to know how i can start

edited April 18 in Other

Hello?
Firstly let me apologize if whatever am going to ask is stupid or in a wrong thread,
I am a newbie who is willingly need a career in CyberSecurity,I have tried to search for career path guideline and got hooked into Penetration Testing and I need to know which courses i can start with and how i can list them from which one i can take first and the next so i can go step by step from fundamental to Advanced, All i tried were not helpful as many of them were expensive, am kindly asking you fellas for guidance on this journey am starting,
Would you recommend me some free platforms that i can go with like where i can get full course from scratch,though i never mentioned it before i have some skills from YouTube like installing linux os on VM & some basic configurations.

Thank you :blush:

Comments

• I cant help much as I am not a pentester.

However, I have worked with pentesters/red teamers a lot.

First off, there is no one true path to being a pentester. The range of skills and knowledge required is very broad so the tendency is for people to get a very basic grounding in most areas and focus on the ones of interest. (examples of "areas" - network, infrastructure, web applications, binary analysis, social engineering etc).

This means that the choice of "where to start" is pretty open. There is a huge amount of free material available online ranging from blog posts through to full-on tutorial-style material.

The problem is that the quality does vary wildly and with free courses, you often get what you've paid for. I am not saying you need to spend €7000 on a SANS course but at some point, you may want to make an investment. If nothing else, getting OSCP or similar is a very good first step to finding a job.

However, as a "right now" option - you can take a look at the Ethical Hacking path on Pluralsight which is free until the end of the month. If you have spare time, that gives you a huge amount of course material to get through.

Other than that, have a look at YouTube - there are a few videos there which are full courses, but again the teaching styles vary wildly so you might want to check which ones work best for you.

TazWake

Happy to help people but PLEASE explain your problem in as much detail as possible!

Also: https://www.nohello.com/

• Type your comment> @TazWake said:

I cant help much as I am not a pentester.

However, I have worked with pentesters/red teamers a lot.

First off, there is no one true path to being a pentester. The range of skills and knowledge required is very broad so the tendency is for people to get a very basic grounding in most areas and focus on the ones of interest. (examples of "areas" - network, infrastructure, web applications, binary analysis, social engineering etc).

This means that the choice of "where to start" is pretty open. There is a huge amount of free material available online ranging from blog posts through to full-on tutorial-style material.

The problem is that the quality does vary wildly and with free courses, you often get what you've paid for. I am not saying you need to spend €7000 on a SANS course but at some point, you may want to make an investment. If nothing else, getting OSCP or similar is a very good first step to finding a job.

However, as a "right now" option - you can take a look at the Ethical Hacking path on Pluralsight which is free until the end of the month. If you have spare time, that gives you a huge amount of course material to get through.

Other than that, have a look at YouTube - there are a few videos there which are full courses, but again the teaching styles vary wildly so you might want to check which ones work best for you.

Thank you for your reply, what i got from you one is that before jumping into pentesting i should first go with some other course like networking etc... and then Ethical Hacking if that is right then where exactly would you recommend me (Link) to get full-on tutorial-style material.

• Try www.pluralsight.com and use the free month.

TazWake

Happy to help people but PLEASE explain your problem in as much detail as possible!

Also: https://www.nohello.com/

• Type your comment> @TazWake said:

Try www.pluralsight.com and use the free month.

Thank you let me try it out

Sign In to comment.