Bashed

Comments

• Got this one pretty quickly as my first machine on HTB. Pay attention to the file permissions in the directories and read the contents of the files. I used the limited shell and finished with a reverse shell as root.

• @kamee said:
    Allright, i have an interactive shell, and have an user who can run scripts. I can execute commands as su, but for some reason can't read /root/root.txt file. Anyway i can run another script that writes 'root' owned file.
    I feel i'm pretty close but i must be missing something.

Any hint?

Thank guys

Pretty close! You don't have the correct permissions to read root.txt. Use the powers you have to your advantage.

• Can someone please DM me a hint to getting root.txt PLEASE!!

H4ck3d5p4c3

• well that was...interesting. I was so close. On the right path so many times. that 'Priv esc' sure taught me a lot.

• This is my first box, can someone give a tip if i'm heading in the right direction. I'm looking for a way to upload a file to the site running on 80. I have found one directory (starts with U) and i'm dirbusting it to look for anything interesting though have yielded nothing. Currently, I don't believe any other interesting service is running, or that any exploits in msf are of use to me.

ipbsec

• hi, you dont need to upload , keep searching ,read the page a little bit more

• Found my start point! Needed to start with a high level enumeration.

ipbsec

• Root is still evading me, I'm currently focusing on the on the python script i found (trying to not give too much away), am I on the right track, or should I abandon this ?

ipbsec

• @ipbsec said:
    Root is still evading me, I'm currently focusing on the on the python script i found (trying to not give too much away), am I on the right track, or should I abandon this ?

You're on the right track.

Just got root. Great learning as always with HTB.

• edited March 2018

Hi,
    how can I check/find from which directory root user run some scripts? If he even run..

• ok, so got the reverse shell, then the user, then somehow the root. I don't wanna give any spoilers but after getting root i was very confused on how i did it. I did alot of looking around and research and it kinda just fell into my lap. i don't wanna say im disjointed but i don't i fully grasped what happened and how i got it lol. someone please pm me?

• edited March 2018

Ok, i have the reverse shell but can't crack the privesc, i've tried several ways to get the file without privesc to root first using scripts running as a user with script exec permissions but I can't read the target root file. Can anyone throw me a bone :) ?

ipbsec

• @ipbsec said:
    Ok, i have the reverse shell but can't crack the privesc, i've tried several ways to get the file without privesc to root first using scripts running as a user with script exec permissions but I can't read the target root file. Can anyone throw me a bone :) ?

My last question is a bone.. :P

• @blackangel said:

My last question is a bone.. :P

hmm, not a very meaty bone, though it has given me an idea for a next step.

ipbsec

• Hi, I keep getting asked for the password of ************ user in order to run commands as that user, what am I doing wrong? Can anybody PM me please?

• Guys, I need some help! I have the user flag, but I got it without getting the shell on terminal, I just got it from the browser. I tried using netcat for getting the reverse shell, but it failed. I also tried using bash for the same but no luck! Can anyone please help?

• @codenameroot said:
    Guys, I need some help! I have the user flag, but I got it without getting the shell on terminal, I just got it from the browser. I tried using netcat for getting the reverse shell, but it failed. I also tried using bash for the same but no luck! Can anyone please help?

If you want a subtle hint on getting a shell, PM me

ipbsec

• I need help uploading the webshell and reverse shell I got an error, I know the trick to resolve this CTF but I need help I dont know what its not working!!

I would apreciate :cold_sweat:

• @sh4cl0n3hack said:
    I need help uploading the webshell and reverse shell I got an error, I know the trick to resolve this CTF but I need help I dont know what its not working!!

You can message me if you still need help :)

• @Cristi said:

@sh4cl0n3hack said:
    I need help uploading the webshell and reverse shell I got an error, I know the trick to resolve this CTF but I need help I dont know what its not working!!

You can message me if you still need help :)

Its ok bro thanks so much, I got the first flag now I am trying get the second :)

• Good luck!

• edited April 2018

Spoiler Removed - Arrexel

• edited April 2018

@Axon said:

Can someone confirm that issue?

• edited April 2018

• edited April 2018

H4ck3d5p4c3

• edited April 2018

H4ck3d5p4c3

• I think I figured out what is going on... can someone who has gotten PM me so I can pitch my idea and see if it is correct?

H4ck3d5p4c3

• Hello Folks, its my 2nd day here i got the user flag, no idea about pri escalation, no idea about reverse shell, please help me out what should be the next tool or method to get teh root.

• got in after reverse shell, no tty, still not root... any hint guys...

• I was able to get the root flag by modifying an exploit. Unfortunately I got root for only a short time. I modified the exploit to dump the contents. This is not giving me an actual elevated prompt. I have been digging around the system for almost three days. Enumerating the system to death and I feel like I have looked over, what i think should be simple.

I know this is not the correct method and would like to do it the right way. I am not here for the flags. I want the knowledge. Can anyone push me in the right direction? Reach me via PM.

Thanks for any help.

Sign In to comment.