How to tell which Machines will retire?

Hi there,

I only got very limited time for this amazing experience & community here, but still I'd like to rank up a bit. Who doesn't?

So it's somewhat frustrating not to know which Machines will be retired anytime soon.

Around Xmas holidays (I actually was in sickbed after a surgery) this pushed me to spend more time here than I would have done otherwise but made it to the first level happy. Now I'm back at work and I'm sure some people can relate, that their efforts might be wasted eventually if the machines they rooted will be retired.

On the side: I couldn't figure out how to READ ratings of a server, I left a few myself but there seems no way of seeing other peoples written ratings?

Cheers,
Sparkla

Hack The Box

Comments

• edited February 3

Yeah this isn't explained anywhere but I'm pretty sure they're in order - so the machine at the top of the list of machines (assuming you haven't applied any filters) will be the next one to retire. Every week the machine at the top of the list will be replaced by the machine at the top of the Submissions list (well the highest one that has been approved).

Also I gotta say I wish there was some way this could be sped up a little, maybe releasing 2 machines a week instead of 1. As a machine creator it kinda sucks having to wait literally 6 months between submitting a machine and it actually going live, because you have to wait for all of the existing machines to be retired. Also as a player if you've done all the existing machines, only having one new machine to try per week might not be great (especially if it happens to be an insane difficulty one on your least favourite OS etc)

VbScrub
    My youtube tutorials: http://youtube.com/vbscrub

• edited February 3

@VbScrub said:

Also I gotta say I wish there was some way this could be sped up a little, maybe releasing 2 machines a week instead of 1.

Definitely can't say I agree with this. There's been a good number of problems with machines lately, and I imagine the HTB team would get pretty burned out doing twice the troubleshooting.

clubby789

• GCIH
      If you need help with something, PM me how far you've got already, what you've tried etc (I won't respond to profile comments). And remember to +respect me if I helped you ; )
  • Type your comment> @VbScrub said:

Yeah this isn't explained anywhere but I'm pretty sure they're in order - so the machine at the top of the list of machines (assuming you haven't applied any filters) will be the next one to retire. Every week the machine at the top of the list will be replaced by the machine at the top of the Submissions list (well the highest one that has been approved).

Also I gotta say I wish there was some way this could be sped up a little, maybe releasing 2 machines a week instead of 1. As a machine creator it kinda sucks having to wait literally 6 months between submitting a machine and it actually going live, because you have to wait for all of the existing machines to be retired. Also as a player if you've done all the existing machines, only having one new machine to try per week might not be great (especially if it happens to be an insane difficulty one on your least favourite OS etc)

Thanks for the details, got it now!

Well you have my vote for more machines albeit I also see the need for the boxes to be in good condition. I already asked myself how to rank up at all, having (don't quote me on this) ~half the free machines solved, and the premium ones don't give rank points afaik, cause there's an Ippsec walkthrough available :smiley:

I can see that waiting 6 months for a creator is a no-go assuming they don't pay you to do it? No idea, just guessing. Lots of "life" happens in 6 months.

Right now I'm facing mostly very difficult machines & windows machines, I don't really have time to dig into.

@clubby789 said:
    Definitely can't say I agree with this. There's been a good number of problems with machines lately, and I imagine the HTB team would get pretty burned out doing twice the troubleshooting.

As usual if that happens: Hire more people! ;) Given they have the money, I don't know. Just read that they're growing and hiring, already considered applying myself, they have a job description that fits my profile.

Hack The Box

• edited February 3

t> @clubby789 said:

@VbScrub said:

Also I gotta say I wish there was some way this could be sped up a little, maybe releasing 2 machines a week instead of 1.

That's a weird perspective on a service that a lot of people pay for. You wouldn't say to any other business "oh please don't provide me with a better service because your employees might get bored of doing their job". You just expect that if they want to improve/expand their service, they will employ the appropriate amount of people for that workload. If there isn't enough money in this service to be able to do that then fair enough, but we have no idea about that side of things and that doesn't seem to be what your concern is.

EDIT: Just seen @sparkla basically said the same thing at the end of his reply too

VbScrub

• The issue is not that 'they might get bored'; my point is that increasing the workload increases the chances that more issues could slip through the cracks. And you've got to remember that these are real people who provide you this service.

clubby789

• GCIH
      If you need help with something, PM me how far you've got already, what you've tried etc (I won't respond to profile comments). And remember to +respect me if I helped you ; )
  • Type your comment> @clubby789 said:

The issue is not that 'they might get bored'; my point is that increasing the workload increases the chances that more issues could slip through the cracks. And you've got to remember that these are real people who provide you this service.

I definitely don't want to argue with this very point. I know exactly how it feels if workload or management (or sometimes community) burns through employees, from myself and from my wife's worklife. But over the years there's been only one right answer for me to this: hire more people. I'm not speaking of myself here, I wouldn't apply to "check boxes". But from my perspective on the european job market there's so many willing & skilled people, often willing to work at a lower wage in the beginning, if conditions are fair. Still, I know personal is expensive nevertheless, we're not in China, healthcare and social taxes alone make it a grand/month at least for a part-time entry-level man. But I was under the impression that besides premium there's some financial corporate support and government aid. I don't know, just vague guesses from me. If there's not enough money, maybe volunteers? There seem quite a few enthuisats around - get them a foot into the industry, make them learn, keep the good guys...

Hack The Box

• @clubby789 said:
    The issue is not that 'they might get bored'; my point is that increasing the workload increases the chances that more issues could slip through the cracks. And you've got to remember that these are real people who provide you this service.

But surely by that logic no company would ever get any bigger than 1 employee, because providing a faster or better service would at some point require too much work for that person. I'm sure HTB has already been through that several times and expanded their staff to meet the workload.

Of course I don't want anyone to be over worked etc, but as customers we should not have to worry about that because we have no idea what their current work load is. For all you know right now they might have loads of spare cash ready for employing more staff, or their existing staff might be under worked and have loads of spare time. Unlikely, but you get my point.

TL;DR I don't want anyone to get burnt out but I don't think we can base feature requests around how much work each of their employees has to do because we have no idea what their work load currently is. That is very much HTB's concern and not something customers should have to think about. Just like with every other business in the world.

VbScrub

• edited February 4

Generally and with a very few exceptions, the oldest machines will retire first.
    I am not sure if there was/is a filter for "release date" but since i cant find it right now i would say look at how many people have owned a box.

More owns means that the box has been live for more time.
    Of course judge this per difficulty level.
    We cant expect after all an easy machine to have the same numbers of owns with a difficult one.

Boxes that got a very good or very bad ratting are not subject to this rule of thumb of mine. Good ratting boxes will stay live more as they are a great learning experience, meanwhile bad ratting ones might be removed sooner than a medium/neutral rated one.

Finally, i also support VbScrub's sugestion for 2 boxes per week!

• Just because you hire more people doesn’t mean you can grow instantly. Everyone does things differently and sometimes different causes things to break in marvelous unexpected ways. In a proper world everything’s documented to help keep things uniform. However, afaik HTB was created as a side project and no one expected things to take off like it has.

There’s been a lot of growth and before seeing two machines a week. I’d love to see more consistency, pro labs, etc.

To the original question. It’s tough for even me to know what retires ahead of time. It’s based upon what boxes are tested, machines difficulty/time live/rating/solves. HTB did hire someone to manage the release cycle and test machines so hopefully in the future the unreleased page will give more than 3-4 day notice
Sign In to comment.