[REVERSING] headache2

Comments

• This challenge will be the end of me Layle :)

• Rather the end of me xD

sig

• LOOOOOL. mistakes happens all the time, don't worry about it.

• edited November 2019

I have absolutely no clue how to even begin tackling this. First thought it was bytecode, then shellcode, then thought it was a bootloader... all dead ends so far. Only hint is an embedded file that seems rust-based.

Edit: Okay, so I have the flag from the unintended route, but still curious about the intended route since it seems really cool.

In other news, this thing seems to have a lot of annoying false flags for everyone doing it the intended way.

Xentropy
    Null | Nada- | Zip | Diddly | Zilch+

• I'm stuck here too... any hint on how to start this challenge?

Type your comment> @Xentropy said:
    > I have absolutely no clue how to even begin tackling this. First thought it was bytecode, then shellcode, then thought it was a bootloader... all dead ends so far. Only hint is an embedded file that seems rust-based.
  • edited November 2019

Do you want a xmas-elf?

limbernie
    Write-ups of retired machines

• "xmas" can't find the entry point

• edited November 2019

so may i just ask does it run? do i need apple-darwin? all my file scanners say its just a data bin. but gdb says otherwise... tick tock

• edited December 2019

I found what is it ! but I am not able to execute it as it should be !

• how to get started with this ?? i have absolutely no idea pls help :\

• Look at the hex

• still not catching ya :\ pm with a nudge

• I have found something Rusty inside the file and extract it successfully (even though it faults at runtime).
    Now i am stuck analysing the remainder of the hex and the rusty thing at the same time.
    anyone could shed a light?

badge
    profile: https://www.hackthebox.eu/home/users/profile/114435
    discord: Celesian#0558

• Alright! Now i found a XMAS present through a quick google search.
    where does this lead to??

badge
    profile: https://www.hackthebox.eu/home/users/profile/114435
    discord: Celesian#0558

• pp
    edited January 9

had fun on the first part, less on the second, I'm curious to read the > @Xentropy said:

I have absolutely no clue how to even begin tackling this. First thought it was bytecode, then shellcode, then thought it was a bootloader... all dead ends so far. Only hint is an embedded file that seems rust-based.

Edit: Okay, so I have the flag from the unintended route, but still curious about the intended route since it seems really cool.

In other news, this thing seems to have a lot of annoying false flags for everyone doing it the intended way.

I agree with you, first part is cool, the second one is a bit "messy". I'm very curious to see a writeup for the intended way (if there's one) or maybe the author can share it with us in PM :)

EDIT: the challenge itself is not that difficult, but the way to reach the "standard reversing phase" was interesting enough for the new stuff learned not just about reversing :)

• Spoiler Removed

• edited January 12

It starts alright with the right magic

joeblogg801

• Everyone is rating this challenge as easy......is it really that easy? I'm really confused.....

• So I've managed to get it running, not finished it yet -- but if anyone wants a nudge for the legit way PM me.

• I tried to extract file from binary file but seems like not right.... so confused. Pls give a hint! Thanks so much!

• god damn it, @Layle
    idk how this was meant to be solved, but my way sure as hell gave me a headache...

0x41

• @0x41 gratz on the solve, DM me your method :)

sig

• Solved, very fun but went down so many wrong paths.

Will give a nudge if you PM

And yes there are many literal false flags

• I have "login success" ? false flag too ?

• Fun challenge , solved
  • i get 55AA. next step, please?

• What is it -- 55AA?

• Hey all, I'm a bit stuck atm. I've managed to extract the rust binary from the file. When i try to run it, it seg faults. I don't know much about rust. Can someone give me a hint on where to go from here?

Sign In to comment.