Starting the thread

Hack The Box

Comments

• yaaaay linux :)

• ^ finally haha

v1ew-s0urce.flv
  • so far hating enumeration to find some creds :/

Hack The Box

• Found some SSL certs, but still missing the 'k*y' to get ahead.

For asking help, please describe what you have tried so far, so i don't spoil too much.
    If you believe i was able to help, please provide feedback by giving respect:
    https://www.hackthebox.eu/home/users/profile/122308

• Rooted...

Very easy box!!
    I don't know why it has been ranked as hard

I don't know if whether I got the root in the intended way.

• I wouldn't call it hard but easy far from it maybe medium but i had to learn a bit today to do this very happy lets say its not hard or easy . Im about to grab my user flag my friend and i worked together and he got his but i asked to suffer so i can learn and I'm pulling my way back into this race good job guys and to D8ll0 good job if its easy that's awesome i cant wait to say that

• ROOTED!
    So its semi hard in the sense that if you miss 1 key thing in the beginning you are screwed with useless enumeration. Couple of hints below.

USER: Pay attention to what you skip on a daily bases. There is a script that can help you get what you find. Rest is straight forward.
    ROOT: Pay attention to initial enumeration and investigate it.

Please do remove this if it gives away too much info. I am not sure who or how spoilers are removed and stuff.

Hack The Box

• Not sure got user in the intended method. but can say aint figured out root yet. has been a good excuse to relearn some stuff.

• Any hint for user after enumerating the web services?

• Quite stuck after using the d****r r*****ry, check the r***c script and try to crack the key, which I'm not able to, not sure if I have to enumerate more but I've double checked everything and I don't have any other idea.
    Any hint is welcome.

Hack The Box

• edited October 2019

Nvm. Literally just now found a breakthrough.. Might use this comment to ask later though lol

rowra

• edited October 2019

/* removed answer to an edited comment */

User is easy if you're curious enough. Tip: if you're not familiar with the technology involved here, look at the documentation.

Root: Honestly I don't know.

• I found the d***** auth, and downloaded the c********ate, but not really sure about where to go next.

clubby789

• GCIH
      If you need help with something, PM me how far you've got already, what you've tried etc (I won't respond to profile comments, or on box release night). And remember to +respect me if I helped you ; )
  • mixed feelings on this one. I think the box is intentionally setup to be confusing, a bit CTF like. I rooted the box, reset the box and rooted it again to make sure.

• Rooted last night. User isn't really a hard thing to get if you read about the technology used. For root, I rooted it the lazy, dumb way (which I think it's unintended) and can't say much about it. Going to try the hard way.

Tohzzicklao

• Great box, even though I wouldn't rate it as hard.

User: if you look hard enough you'll notice you already have everything you need, don't waste your CPU cycles and don't hammer too much the poor box.

Root: enumerate and don't try to think outside of the box, it won't do you any good :)

• edited October 2019

@Tohzzicklao said:

For root, I rooted it the lazy, dumb way (which I think it's unintended) and can't say much about it. Going to try the hard way.

Interesting, I didn't notice an easier way than the (apparently) intended one - unless the way I rooted it was unintended and there's something even easier.

• Any guidance on how to proceed to root? I'm in on the box as the user b*** and also got in the /b/b weba****. Can't really seem to find a way to launch a revshell or anything though

rowra

• edited October 2019

I feel I'm so close to root, trying to exploit the r****c command but find a way to either exec code or connect to my local rest-r****c server hmmmmmmm

• Spoiler Removed

• @bluealder said:

I feel I'm so close to root, trying to exploit the r****c command but find a way to either exec code or connect to my local rest-r****c server hmmmmmmm

Depends on how "local" your r****c server is :)

• Got root, but I don't think it was the intended way :/

• Pushed at root for a while, found a few possible entry points, but eventually I gave up and used the unintended method. If anyone can give me a hint for the proper one, I'd be very interested!

clubby789

• GCIH
      If you need help with something, PM me how far you've got already, what you've tried etc (I won't respond to profile comments, or on box release night). And remember to +respect me if I helped you ; )
  • do not try to crack anything user wise use grep and look forensics wise at your d****r p*** and when u overlay to something useful you will see the mess of the ctf like setup he talks about

• Any hint on user where should i look next, got a file lat*** with hashes and got the _c***** name ... don't know how to proceed from there!

• I got root in the right way, now I'm satisfied.
    Thank you for the box @thek, nice one.

• Got root both ways now, great box I liked it a lot!

• @gall0ws @bluealder I'm so glad you liked it ;)

• edited October 2019

Rooted, thanks @gall0ws for nudges. Fun box, difficult but doable. Good work @thek. Am curious if this can be exploited to get root shell or just read the flag? I did the latter. EDIT: nvm, I wasn't looking closely enough.

User:
    Enumeration leads you to a new sub. There's more than meets the eye here; google it. Once you have it, make sure history isn't doomed to repeat itself.

User2:
    Basic enumeration and some elbow grease should give you what you need.

Root:
    Look for what stands out in basic enum, read through the files and the commands you're able to execute which maybe you shouldn't. Google from there.

Please send respect if I helped you out
    Discord: east_west#9811

• edited October 2019

@east You'll get the root shell if you don't aim just at the flag.

Sign In to comment.