Any laptop suggestions?

Recently my old laptop retires and I’m looking for a new one. I especially want to take into consider what are used by people here. I apologize if you find this off-topic discussion annoying.

Can you guys talk about what laptop you use and why, and what are mostly seen in offline CTF games if you have attend any? Many thanks.

Not really a suggestion but here’s what I bought.

Dell 7490
i7 8th Gen
16GB RAM
512 SSD

Found it on eBay and managed to get it for roughly 50% of the retail value, so it was actually one of the more decent savings I’ve had on eBay in a long time. I use it for running multiple VM’s mostly, it’s light, battery life is decent, performance is fine.

Like anything, I guess it’s going to boil down to what you want to use it for and what your budget is.

Thinkpad X230.

Light, cheap, easy to upgrade, and with some cheap RAM and a SSD has plenty of power to do most of the things I need to do (if not I switch to my desktop).

I’ve always loved thinkpads.

Type your comment> @hva said:

Thinkpad X230.

Light, cheap, easy to upgrade, and with some cheap RAM and a SSD has plenty of power to do most of the things I need to do (if not I switch to my desktop).

I’ve always loved thinkpads.

I think x230 is no longer available?

Not from Lenovo, but there’s plenty of them on ebay.

I’m using a lenovo yoga2 pro I got used on amazon. I like it pretty well, haven’t seen the need to upgrade. I’ve had my eyes on the Librem 13 though ever since I pre-ordered their phone.

I’m using lenovo legion Y530 (i5 8gen 16GB Ram GTX 1060 ) for pentesting and gaming

Type your comment> @hva said:

Not from Lenovo, but there’s plenty of them on ebay.

I noticed it is released in 2012. Wouldn’t the hardware be outdated? What about its successors like x260 or x270?

Type your comment> @sazouki said:

I’m using lenovo legion Y530 (i5 8gen 16GB Ram GTX 1060 ) for pentesting and gaming

This gaming book looks really cool… but I believe its not quite portable

Type your comment> @n3k0bu573r said:

Type your comment> @sazouki said:

This gaming book looks really cool… but I believe its not quite portable

It’s a lightweight laptop :wink:

I want one of these:
https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/T490/p/20N2CTO1WWENGB2/customize

14" Lenovo, up to 32GB Ram, i7, up to 1TB nVME drive, nVidia graphics along with all the usual Thinkpad stuff… but it will cost all my quatloos :frowning:

Type your comment> @lackofgravitas said:

I want one of these:
https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/T490/p/20N2CTO1WWENGB2/customize

14" Lenovo, up to 32GB Ram, i7, up to 1TB nVME drive, nVidia graphics along with all the usual Thinkpad stuff… but it will cost all my quatloos :frowning:

Following this idea I found T480. Is it any good?
Compared to newer T490, I’m more into those classic rectangles…LOL

Not sure. My work machine is a T470s. I’ve had that for about two years, and it’s as solid as a rock. It’s traveled a fair bit with me and suffered a couple of knocks and it doesn’t show any sign of it. We have a few 480’s in the office and they have the same reliability. They biggest difference is they stopped doing the docking ports. You use a USB-C port replicator now.

Type your comment

I’m on a Lenovo X270. Stay away from the X280 though - the RAM is soldered to the board and is NOT upgradeable.

I’m using a 2017 Macbook Pro 13" inch. I like it for the portability / power / battery life. It only has a i5 & 8gb ram so struggles once I go past two VMs.

X1 carbon 2015 year edition. Perfect laptop to transport, super light and comfy as well as has juice in it

I am on ThinkPad T470 - bought it used from ebay for 400 poinds. Upgraded for about 100 to FHD IPS screen and chucked in another 8gb ram. It’s got the fat big battery.

Got a refurb thinkpad T450S for £250 specifically for hackthebox. Just needed a cheap dedicated machine, but was surprised how amazing this is. i5 vPro, 8 gigs of ram, SSD, full HD screen, backlit keyboard, even has mobile broadband. My daily driver is a macbook pro (which is awesome), but even after that I instantly fell in love with this thing.

I bounced back and forth between portable machines, and more heavy workstations.

Now I’m running a Razer Blade.

I’d recommend looking at gaming laptops if you can afford it; even if you aren’t gaming having a full GPU can be handy for computation and being able to upgrade components has definitely been helpful.