Steganalysis Tools

Hi folks,

Does anybody have any good recommendations for steganalysis tools? I seem to get stuck a lot because it's often very difficult to find the hidden message. I usually try Stegsolve and strings. Sometimes I try changing the text size. After that... I've kind of got nothing. It's frustrating solving 3 different parts of a steganalysis and cryptanalysis problem to end up in a dead end. A lot of what I've researched is either a broken link, no longer maintained, or requires several dependencies which are all broken.

Any suggestions?

Thanks folks.

Comments

• edited May 2019

@Peyphour that's a good one, but I prefer just keeping a small set of tools since for me whenever I get a "big bin of tools" I just end up not using most of it. lol

My go-to ones are:
    Stegsolve.jar
    Stegcracker
    steghide
    binwalk
    strings
    vim

.. and of course cyberchef for the stego challs that are sort of crypto too.

Covers like 80-90% of what I need.

Xentropy
    Null | Nada- | Zip | Diddly | Zilch+

• edited May 2019

Mostly i use strings,exiftool,xxd,steghide,StegSolve and binwalk!
    These are the basic one!

• Thanks folks! I'll look into those this weekend.

A lot of this is really needle in a haystack stuff for me. I just joined VIP and am looking to level up my skills. I spend my weekends trying to CTF (and most of the time end up being trolled by a false lead and a bad key). This is great fun.

I've done both masters degree and doctoral credits in this stuff and nothing beats just good hands on experience. This is where it's at.

Sign In to comment.