Crypto > Sick Teacher

edited November 2017 in Challenges

I want to know if I'm in the right track. I got the cipher text and I'm trying to look for English words that could match the cipher combination (considering the length, the use or lack of apostrophe etc). For example, the word " SCM'I " from the cipher text could mean something like " won't " or " can't ".

Is this the right way to approach this challenge, or perhaps it's using a well known cipher? I tried ROT1-25, Caesar's cipher and some others, with no success.

It shouldn't be anything hard, as it's tagged as an easy challenge, maybe I'm looking at the wrong direction.

Hack The Box

«1

Comments

  • edited November 2017

    What do you call the person who fills in when your teacher is sick? hint hint

    Arrexel

  • @Arrexel said:
    What do you call the person who fills in when your teacher is sick? hint hint

    Perfect HINT for this challenge ...... ;)

    Agent22

  • @Arrexel said:
    What do you call the person who fills in when your teacher is sick? hint hint

    perfect hint. (rofl)

    Hack The Box

  • @Arrexel said:
    What do you call the person who fills in when your teacher is sick? hint hint

    "Sucker" ??

    :)

    likwidsec

  • @Arrexel said:
    What do you call the person who fills in when your teacher is sick? hint hint

    It really depends on the region, according to Wikipedia, some places call them "substitute teacher", others "supply teacher", "relief teacher", "teacher on call" etc. rsrsrs

    Hack The Box

  • @JChris said:

    @Arrexel said:
    What do you call the person who fills in when your teacher is sick? hint hint

    It really depends on the region, according to Wikipedia, some places call them "substitute teacher", others "supply teacher", "relief teacher", "teacher on call" etc. rsrsrs

    YOU R VERY close....

    list = [substitute,supply,relief]

    for i in list:

     print i+" cipher" #Google it each one ....
    

    print "DONE"

    Agent22

  • edited November 2017

    @Agent22 said:

    @JChris said:

    @Arrexel said:
    What do you call the person who fills in when your teacher is sick? hint hint

    It really depends on the region, according to Wikipedia, some places call them "substitute teacher", others "supply teacher", "relief teacher", "teacher on call" etc. rsrsrs

    YOU R VERY close....

    list = [substitute,supply,relief]

    for i in list:

     print i+" cipher" #Google it each one ....
    

    print "DONE"

    Dude... in the end I was doing the right thing, it was indeed a simple task, I did a 360 and ended up in the same place, but now I finally got it right. I didn't use any tool, I was looking at the sentences and doing the work by hand, maybe I got something wrong on the first try, but I finally did it. \o/

    What was a big hint for me was the "JIWZHMC118", as I've seen this pattern here on HTB before :p

    Thanks everyone.

    Hack The Box

  • ahmed top users :mrgreen:
    i am decode all encoded text bt my flag not work :bawling:

  • @b4nna said:
    ahmed top users :mrgreen:
    i am decode all encoded text bt my flag not work :bawling:

    Key is ur FLAG ......

    Agent22

  • hahaaha me forget to use HTB{flag} :mrgreen:

  • edited November 2017

    -- ignore me --

    Just testing if signature is working... The script one won't work, just image :(

    Hack The Box

  • First of all, you should look at "JIWZHMC118", then try to search on HTB site something connected with 118 in the name (1st hint).
    After that you can use helpful website http://rumkin.com/tools/cipher/cryptogram.php
    Remember, that first thought is always the best. Don't look for so andvanced idea to decode this.

    Ruster

  • edited November 2017

    @Ruster said:
    First of all, you should look at "JIWZHMC118", then try to search on HTB site something connected with 118 in the name (1st hint).
    After that you can use helpful website http://rumkin.com/tools/cipher/cryptogram.php
    Remember, that first thought is always the best. Don't look for so andvanced idea to decode this.

    Dude, this topic was resolved already xD

    Take a look at my post here (https://forum.hackthebox.eu/discussion/comment/998/#Comment_998)

    Indeed, the "JIWZHMC118" is a very special one and I did use it.

    Hack The Box

  • need help, i tried 0 - 26 cipher caesar, i search whant all htb site about JIWZHMC118 and no find nothing. I applied the cipher in different words, almost all of txt and one by one separated, with no results .. could someone give me a light?

  • @Cl0wn said:
    need help, i tried 0 - 26 cipher caesar, i search whant all htb site about JIWZHMC118 and no find nothing. I applied the cipher in different words, almost all of txt and one by one separated, with no results .. could someone give me a light?

    There's a tool that I find very useful when trying to break/analyze crypto.. Called CryptoTool or JCryptoTool, depending on which you can find. Both have great visualization/cryptanalysis features. Check them out.

    likwidsec

  • Can someone DM me about how to submit the flag for this? I was able to decrypt the message. Tried to submit the key and threw it in the format HTB{key}. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

  • Read the challenge desc. Needs to be submitted in the correct case

    Arrexel

  • I have tried the flag and the key in low, upper, inside HTB{}, outside HTB{} but nothing works.

    Any hints?

  • @syserror said:
    I have tried the flag and the key in low, upper, inside HTB{}, outside HTB{} but nothing works.

    Any hints?

    HTB{flaginlowercasewithoutspace}

  • May I message someone about this Challenge? I have the plain, I feel like I'm just messing up the formatting, if not, I'd prefer no hint!

  • @msshtb said:
    May I message someone about this Challenge? I have the plain, I feel like I'm just messing up the formatting, if not, I'd prefer no hint!

    Note to the uninitiated, check the hashes of the files and plaintexts you are working on! You may have incomplete data! slaps head

    Thanks gm67445.

  • @msshtb said:

    @msshtb said:
    May I message someone about this Challenge? I have the plain, I feel like I'm just messing up the formatting, if not, I'd prefer no hint!

    Note to the uninitiated, check the hashes of the files and plaintexts you are working on! You may have incomplete data! slaps head

    Thanks gm67445.

    Man thanks for this, you just saved me time of confused desperation

  • For me, as a total n00b, this was a lot of fun.

  • edited May 2018

    Spoiler Removed - Arrexel

  • edited April 2018

    i solved ...ty all

  • ok i make a hint for all .....make manual decrypter from Cryptool

  • This was a fun one!

  • I have found the various tools for different ciphers on https://www.dcode.fr to be particularly useful for the crypto challenges I've done thus far. Don't speak French, but doing a Google search for a specific cipher and going to the link dcode.fr has for it usually works fine.
    Most of them are pretty interactive, and helps you whittle things down.

  • the site is translate to English, it's not necessary to speak French
    https://www.dcode.fr/tools-list

    enjoy ;-)

Sign In to comment.