HACK THE BOX Certification

2»

Comments

• Speaking of certs has anyone been ballsy enough to claim HTB lab time for CEUs for CISSP or the like?

• I'm just gonna order stickers of my badge and put it on my resume...

Haha, no for real though I can see this being a thing. The issue (as with the OSCP now) is validation of you being the one that passed the test or requirements or whatever it ends up being.

I got my OSCP back in Jan and it was right before they started pushing the pilot for the video proctoring of the test. It was becoming too apparent that people were cheating the test apparently and now they need to enforce some sort of validation.

I will say on the other hand, if you were to tell me you even had an account here when in an interview my ears would perk up immediately. It shows you really care just about the learning and the challenge. The OSCP is starting to almost become required and its check the box (a great one, don't get me wrong on that) but HTB on the other hand is just a sign that you take the time to keep getting better, you want to learn and hone your skills. And that is really what matters.

So actually, hell yeah... Throw your badge on your resume F* it.

Rantrel
    ~|OSCP|~

• > @Rantrel said:
    > I'm just gonna order stickers of my badge and put it on my resume...
    >
    > Haha, no for real though I can see this being a thing. The issue (as with the OSCP now) is validation of you being the one that passed the test or requirements or whatever it ends up being.
    >
    > I got my OSCP back in Jan and it was right before they started pushing the pilot for the video proctoring of the test. It was becoming too apparent that people were cheating the test apparently and now they need to enforce some sort of validation.
    >
    > I will say on the other hand, if you were to tell me you even had an account here when in an interview my ears would perk up immediately. It shows you really care just about the learning and the challenge. The OSCP is starting to almost become required and its check the box (a great one, don't get me wrong on that) but HTB on the other hand is just a sign that you take the time to keep getting better, you want to learn and hone your skills. And that is really what matters.
    >
    > So actually, hell yeah... Throw your badge on your resume F* it.

+1

felli0t

• I don't think a cert is necessary. Some people do cheat on htb for ranks (although idk why) but trying to add a certification sounds like it would add too much baggage with it tbh. HTB already has the street cred of being the best (free) platform for pentest training/pentest ctf so I don't think there's much point to it. (In my opinion)

Looking for past Hack the Box write-ups or other security stuff? Feel free to visit: https://dastinia.io <3

• I would absolutely love to have a specific set of challenges that HTB makes a Cert for. I will be even be okay if you have to pay to take it (I am thinking of a system like
    RastaLabs). It would stand out on resumes and I would of course love to do it, especially just as a challenge to test myself.

Arrexel

• @RedTeamIntern said:
    I would absolutely love to have a specific set of challenges that HTB makes a Cert for. I will be even be okay if you have to pay to take it (I am thinking of a system like
    RastaLabs). It would stand out on resumes and I would of course love to do it, especially just as a challenge to test myself.

+1 but I also agree in some other comments HTB is BY FAR with pentestit.ru the best you can find for free and with out going to a world wide competition like the defcon ones and others. So if we force people to cheat then the value will go down, even do also is true that we can make a anti cheat system of some sort.

ReK2

• edited July 2018

@Rantrel - I'd proudly add this to my LinkedIn. I will do eventually, no doubt. I value this learning over any reading/CBT I've done. I will sign up for OSCP eventually, 24 hours on cam doesn't bother me, if anything I'd add "video proctored" on my CV/LinkedIn as I think it adds value to it as it's been heavily abused prior to this.

If HTB did do some certification, I'd probably do it but I want something more continual than something one off, this industry is evolving, it needs continual professional development and that's why CEH and CISSP puts me off - it's a binary pass/not pass and it's heavily abused with braindumps for that reason.

DAAAALY

If you send a message for help, tell me what you've done or you won't get a reply.

Sign In to comment.